Thursday 15 March 2012

My Annamese Jarlet


What I like about the Philippines is how easily one can get hold of antique ceramics. Although they say it's getting to be very difficult in getting new stocks since most were dug up in the 1950-60s.  Now, it's like waiting for Godot. There are good days and there are bad days, days of plenty and days of empty.  And my dealer endures the same cycle.

When I went there to scour for ceramic finds, I saw this little Annamese jarlet sitting marvelously inside a curio cabinet.  I was already on the tailend of my "shopping" when I inquired about this piece. It was very nice, no restorations whatsoever. The glaze though has degraded a bit, probably from being exposed to sea water.  Also, the base looked suspicious as if it was a bit too polished to make (signifying that this was probably a fake).  Then again, these parts in provincial Philippines, fakes are very very hard to come by- mostly because it's impractical to ship fake Kitchen Ming and SEAsian wares to a provincial city only to be haggled by paupers.  Also, the motif, the ink, the make and the material is consistent with Annamese wares of the 14th-15th centuries.

I got into my haggling protocol and I reminded them that I bought a lot of ceramics today, so they must give me this piece at a very good price. And a very good price indeed.  I thought to myself if I won't buy this, someone else would.






Such wonderful examples of these ceramic types can be seen in the online auction sites and online antique shops. An example of which can be seen here:   http://auction.sedwickcoins.com/Small-Annamese-jarlet-blue-on-cream-color-bird-and-plants-design_i9323160



Acquired for $21-

Happy Antiquing!

No comments:

Post a Comment