Thursday 17 October 2013

A Set of Cosmetic Containers


Couple of years ago, the owner of a rundown antique store in my city has these ceramic cosmetic containers displayed in one of her glass curio cabinets.  These ranged from the late Ming to the Yuan to the Qing dynasty.  They are an odd lot with their covers already gone.  Collectors, especially old matronly ones, favor these types because of their size. Well, anecdotally speaking, that is.

 So, the owner sold me this entire lot for $20.  I was happy with it since collectively, they look good in my cabinet.



However, some tuition fee was inevitable.  I reexamined a few and I suspected that these were modern copies- they looked as if they were machine made and the glaze was too modern for my taste (no cracleur, no rust spots, no potters wheel mark). Well, caveat emptor I guess.


Which ones are fake, can you guess?



No comments:

Post a Comment